st: merge by range of values using mata

From   Luke Miner <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: merge by range of values using mata
Date   Wed, 7 Mar 2012 17:42:37 +0000

Like the thread posted below, I'm trying to merge datasets by ranges.

In dataset A each observation has a unique value of X

In dataset B, each observation contains a range of X values,
classified by start_X and end_X. The remaining variable, Y, in dataset
B contain values for all Xs that fall within this range.

I want to merge the Y values using the X ranges.

I saw the approach suggested below on the list. However, I have
millions of observations and it is prohibitively slow. I've been
trying to convert this into mata with no luck. Any suggestions on mata
code?