Re: st: xtlogit, pa questions

From (Brendan Halpin)
Subject   Re: st: xtlogit, pa questions
Date   Tue, 06 Mar 2012 12:43:52 +0000

On Tue, Mar 06 2012, Kim Peeters wrote:

> You mention “If they do, it seems to me that cluster membership has a
> stronger effect than the covariates, probably for structural reasons.”
> Does this imply that there exist better models to establish the
> relationship between the response variable and the independent
> variables?

If I understand it correctly, you have multiple X measurements per
person, but only a single Y?  Does the outcome come after all the RHS

If there is, by design, a single outcome per case, then this is not
really clustered data, but rather individual-level data with multiply
observed explanatory variables:

Y_i = f(X_{i1},X_{i2},...X_{iT}) rather than Y_{it} = f(X_{it})

Rather than a clustered model, I'd be looking for a way of simplifying
the RHS variables, e.g., via factor analysis. If they are categorical
you might be able to cluster them using sequence analysis (depending on
how time functions, and on your substantive question).

Brendan Halpin,   Department of Sociology,   University of Limerick,   Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147  f +353-61-202569  h +353-61-338562;  Room F1-009 x 3147    ULSociology on Facebook:         twitter:@ULSociology