Re: st: xtlogit, pa questions

From   Kim Peeters <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: xtlogit, pa questions
Date   Tue, 6 Mar 2012 04:26:01 -0800 (PST)

Dear Brendan,

Thank you for your fast reply.

The RHS variables do vary within cluster. The clusters span
almost twenty years and contain one observation for each year. The study endeavors to understand and establish a relationship between the outcome (either 0 or 1) and a broad set of independent variables.

You mention “If
they do, it seems to me that cluster membership has a stronger effect than the
covariates, probably for structural reasons.” Does this imply that there exist
better models to establish the relationship between the response variable and the independent variables?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Best regards,
Kim

----- Original Message -----
From: Brendan Halpin <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, March 6, 2012 12:02 PM
Subject: Re: st: xtlogit, pa questions

On Tue, Mar 06 2012, Kim Peeters wrote:

> 3. Within each cluster, the response variable is
> always the same (either 0 or 1). As such, is a population averaged logit modeling
> approach still
> statistically valid?

Do your RHS variables vary within cluster? If not, I'd be inclined to
treat each cluster as a single (weighted) observation. If they do, it
seems to me that cluster membership has a stronger effect than the
covariates, probably for structural reasons.

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin,   Department of Sociology,   University of Limerick,   Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147  f +353-61-202569  h +353-61-338562;  Room F1-009 x 3147

*
*   For searches and help try:
*  http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?searchhttp://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faqhttp://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/