RE: st: RE: How to calculate standardized difference in means with survey weighted data?

From   "Scholes, Shaun" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: How to calculate standardized difference in means with survey weighted data?
Date   Mon, 5 Mar 2012 17:15:11 +0000

Apologies, will do! It was a Monday morning!
Best wishes
Shaun

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Steve Samuels
Sent: 05 March 2012 16:39
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: RE: How to calculate standardized difference in means with survey weighted data?

The post that Shaun refers to was from Jeff Pitblado at: http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-07/msg00581.html
(Shaun: as perthe  FAQ please always give the URL for references)

There are many ways to do this computation.  The "pooled" SD is simply the  estimated population SD, so calculation of the subpopulation SDs is not needed.

Try the following with one variable. When you understand the output, use the -quietly- block (now commented out) to suppress all but the display of standardized differences

*************CODE BEGINS*************
sysuse auto, clear
svyset _n [pw = turn]
// set up variable list
local vlist length price weight headroom

foreach v of varlist `vlist'{
// qui {
svy: mean `v'

estat sd  //population SD: available in Stata 10 local sd = el(r(sd),1,1) // or  local sd  = sqrt(e(N)*el(e(V_srs),1,1))

svy: mean `v', over(foreign)
local sdiff1 = (_b[`v':Foreign] - _b[`v':Domestic])/`sd'

 // Difference in means with less typing, more output */
svy: reg `v' foreign
local sdiff2 = _b[foreign]/`sd'
di `sdiff1' " " `sdiff2'  //same
// }  end quiet block

di _column(3)  "Stand. Diff " "`v'" _column(25) " = " _column(28) `sdiff1'
}

Steve
[email protected]