RE: st: Multinomial logit model with selection

From   "T.Randazzo" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Multinomial logit model with selection
Date   Mon, 5 Mar 2012 13:43:11 +0000

Dear Stas,

Yes, it is correct! There is no selmlog in Stata but the package (selmlog13.ado) is dowlodable at http://www.parisschoolofeconomics.com/gurgand-marc/selmlog/selmlog13.html and it works!
In their Monte Carlo experiment Bourguignon et al. (2007) find that the restriction on the correlation coefficients imposed in the original Durbin and McFadden (Econometrica 1984) can be waved to obtain more robust estimators.

1)I would like to compare both methods DMF(0) and DMF(1): how can I test if the assumption on the correlation coefficients (they sum up to zero) is correctly specify? (if the assumption is correct I should prefer the original model otherwise I should choose the more flexible one).

Also, I would like to implement the model by myself:
1. Run a Multinomial logit model (type_HH is my dependent variable)
2. Calculate the inverse Mills ratio
3. Run a OLS regression where the dependent variable is expenditure in good i and include the mills ratios.
Because I have 4 outcomes, after running the mlogit I have to create the predict probabilities for each outcome:

predict p1, outcome(1)
predict p2, outcome(2)
predict p3, outcome(3)
predict p4, outcome(4)

Following the advice given by Mushfiq Mobarak (http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2003-04/msg00465.html)

The way to calculate the mills’ ratios and apply the Dubin and McFadden (1984) is the following
gen trnsp1=(p1*ln(p1))/(1-p1)
gen trnsp2=(p2*ln(p2))/(1-p2)
gen trnsp3=(p3*ln(p3))/(1-p3)
gen trnsp4=(p4*ln(p3))/(1-p4)

gen mills2= 3* ln(p2)+ trnsp1 + trnsp3 + trnsp4

gen mills3= 3* ln(p3)+ trnsp1 + trnsp2 + trnsp4

gen mills4= 3* ln(p4)+ trnsp1 + trnsp2 + trnsp3

2) What happen when I decide to apply the more flexible version of the Durbin and McFadden model? I should calculate 4 Mills ratios. Is it correct the following way?

gen mills1= 4* ln(p1)+ trnsp2 + trnsp3 + trnsp4

gen mills2= 4* ln(p2)+ trnsp1 + trnsp3 + trnsp4

gen mills3= 4* ln(p3)+ trnsp1 + trnsp2 + trnsp4

gen mills4= 4* ln(p4)+ trnsp1 + trnsp2 + trnsp3

3) Again, is there a way to test which model is more appropriate?