Re: st: Laspeyres index

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Laspeyres index
Date   Mon, 5 Mar 2012 09:23:51 +0000

Partho is pointing to techniques for relating all, or almost all,
values to values in a particular observation.

Since the FAQ quoted was written, a more systematic survey has appeared in

Cox, N.J. 2011. Speaking Stata: Compared with ...
The Stata Journal 11(2): 305-314

Abstract.  Many problems in data management center on relating values
to values in other observations, either within a dataset as a whole or
within groups such as panels. This column reviews some basic Stata
techniques helpful for such tasks, including the use of subscripts,
summarize, by:, sum(), cond(), and egen. Several techniques exploit
the fact that logical expressions yield 1 when true and 0 when false.
Dividing by zero to yield missings is revealed as a surprisingly
valuable device.