Re: st: Peer variable coefficient estimate nonsense

From   Jian Zhang <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Peer variable coefficient estimate nonsense
Date   Sat, 3 Mar 2012 12:26:10 +0800

Hi Clyde Schechter,

thanks for your comments. as you guessed, the peer group is the
student's class and the score is his/her math score.  In my regression
analysis I include grade and time semester dummies, i.e., I have
controlled for grade and semesters.  Thus this means what i am looking
at is students who are in the same semester and grade: I am comparing
students in the same grade and same semester.  Then the question is
really: given a student, 1 year older of his peers matters more than 1
year older of his own age to his math achievement? For such a student,
it seems that his own age matters more than his peer average ages to
math achievement. Of course, there is no theory/empirical evidence
supporting this.  it is just out of my bold intuition...

Jian