st: RE: LOWESS: confidence band

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: RE: LOWESS: confidence band
Date   Fri, 2 Mar 2012 16:44:26 +0000

The official Stata command -lowess- doesn't support this. I don't think you can even clone -lowess- to add your own modifications as it is dependent on a built-in command -_LOWESS-.

One alternative is -rcspline- (SSC). This is just a convenience wrapper for -mkspline, cubic- and -regress- but convenience still beats the opposite.

do you know how to construct a 95% confidence band for a LOWESS estimation not by bootstrapping?

(I have a limited sample and I am interested in the confidence bands at boundary)