st: RE: flagging significant values in a variable

From   Tim Evans <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: flagging significant values in a variable
Date   Fri, 2 Mar 2012 10:14:09 +0000

Hi,

I did come up with a solution, but its probably not that clean, but it worked:

gen LCI3 = LCI if region==99
gen UCI3 = UCI if region==99
replace  LCI3 = LCI3[_n-1] if missing(LCI3)
replace  UCI3 = UCI3[_n-1] if missing(UCI3)
gen long flag=.
replace flag = 1 if  LCI> UCI3 & region!=99
replace flag = 2 if UCI<LCI3 & region!=99
replace flag = 0 if flag==. & region !=99
label define sig_test 0 "Not sig" 1 "Sig higher" 2 "Sig lower"
label values flag sig_test
drop UCI3 LCI3
sort region
list end - flag

     | end    rate      LCI      UCI   region      flag |
  1. |   5   0.9727   0.9583   0.9849        1   Not sig |
  2. |   5   0.9713   0.9523   0.9867        2   Not sig |
  3. |   5   0.9835   0.9667   0.9971        3   Not sig |
 13. |   5   0.9790   0.9741   0.9836       99         . |

Is there a better way?

Best wishes

Tim