st: Question about data management - how to combine 2 rows of data

From   Maria Cecilia Vieira da Silva <mcvieira@mapigroup.com>
Subject   st: Question about data management - how to combine 2 rows of data
Date   Thu, 1 Mar 2012 16:00:27 +0000

Hello,
I have a problem with my panel data. Day 1 is duplicate for all the ids. The first "day 1" observation refers to the morning variables and the second 'day 1" observation refers to the afternoon variables. The rest of the days are fine - they are listed just once in the panel.
I would like to combine the rows for "day 1" and keep only 1 observation, so that I have information on the morning and afternoon variables combined in one row and would like to keep the variables that are invariable to "day".
Any suggestions?
I thought about using collapse, but it would change the names of the variables that are valid for the rest of the data set.
Thanks,
M.Cecilia

id            day         pill_morning       pill_afternoon   pain_morning    pain_afternoon        sex
1              1              1                              missing                 5                              missing     M
1              1              missing                 3                              missing                 9                   M
1              2              1                              3                              1                              2            M
1              3              3                              5                              0                              1               M
2              1              2                              missing                 8                              missing     F
2              1              missing                 1                              missing                     3                F
2              2              0                              1                              0                              3              F
2              3              1                              0                              2                              0            F