Re: st: peer variable coefficient estimate nonsense

From   Jian Zhang <>
Subject   Re: st: peer variable coefficient estimate nonsense
Date   Thu, 1 Mar 2012 16:01:00 +0800

Nick, thanks for your comment.  the correlation between age and peer
average age is quite high, about -0.7

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Nick Cox <> wrote:
> You need to think very carefully how to parameterise this. You don't
> give any comment on how far these age variables are correlated. You
> might be better off with a different representation, e.g. predictors
> of
> age, (peer average - age)
> Nick
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 7:45 AM, Jian Zhang <> wrote:
>> I was running a OLS regression of student scores on her/her own age
>> and his/her peers' average age. The results show that the coefficient
>> estimate of the peer average age is much much larger than own age
>> estimate.  This does not not seem to be plausible as one would believe
>> that own age would matter much more than peer average age to own
>> scores.  any thoughts/comments?  looks like whenever adding peer
>> characteristics, the regression results does not make sense!
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *
> *
> *

Jian Zhang(张舰)
Assistant Professor
School of Economics
Central University of Finance and Economics, Beijing, China 100081
Cell Phone: 86 - 137 188 65377
Web Page: