Re: st: SE erroes for xtmixed-predict fitted

Subject   Re: st: SE erroes for xtmixed-predict fitted
Date   Wed, 29 Feb 2012 20:41:30 -0500

Two corrections:

The second  model you fit was:

Y_ij = a  + a_j + u_i + b_i*j + e_ij   where the a_j's are fixed and the u, b, and e terms are random. i indexes subjects and  j= 1,2,3,4 indexes the pills

Steve

This is exactly what I wished you'd shown us the first time, Ricardo.

To answer your questions:

1. Constant SEs for no random slope model?  Yes

You have a perfectly balanced data set: four pills with six subjects per pill. Therefore the standard errors for the fitted values will be identical, because they are based on the same SDs and the same number of observations.  This is easier to see if you run:
tab pill, gen(pill)
xtmixed fat pill1 pill2 pill3 pill4, nocons || id:, nolog

This is an equivalent model and fits the four fixed pill means individually.

If you compute se_fitted as before, it will equal  17.3125, and
the constant standard error for the fitted pill means 7.068  is se_fitted/sqrt(6), which you can verify.

If, on the other hand, some subjects did not get all the pills, then you would expect standard errors for pill effects would differ, because the denominator would not always be sqrt(6). You can see this if you delete an observation.

2. Random "slope" model?

xtmixed fat i.pill ||id: pill , nolog

Here you are off the track. Pill is a categorical variable, but the "||id: pill" treats it as a continuous variable and fits a slope coefficient.

If "i" indicates id and "j" is the value associated with pill j you are fitting a model:

Y_ij = a  + a_j + u_i + b*j + e_ij   where the a_j's are fixed and the u and e terms are random

Formally, nothing prevents you from doing this, but it doesn't make sense. Your standard error for even this model was incorrect. The standard error for the fitted value should contain a term for b^2*j^2.  A similar term appeared in the post that I referred you to. For an example of a random slope model, see the pig weight example in the Manual.

Steve
[email protected]