Re: st: data management question

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: data management question
Date   Thu, 1 Mar 2012 00:27:00 +0000

You could -tsset- or -xtset- these data and then use -tsspell- (SSC)
to identify spells in which there was uninterrupted use.

tsset id day
tsspell, pcond(number)

Then the median length of spells is given by

su _seq if _end, detail

Principles for analysing spells are discussed in

SJ-7-2  dm0029  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Speaking Stata: Identifying spells
        Q2/07   SJ 7(2):249--265                                 (no commands)
        shows how to handle spells with complete control over
        spell specification

This paper is independent of -tsspell-. -tsspell- I suspect provides
all the basic tools you need.

Nick