st: RE: Weighted 2SLS

Subject   st: RE: Weighted 2SLS
Date   Tue, 28 Feb 2012 13:24:43 -0000

Dan,

To answer your last question first, -xtivreg2- (like -ivreg2- and
Stata's official IV commands -ivregress-, -xtivreg-, etc.) doesn't
implement 2SLS literally in 2 stages.  The 2SLS estimator is implemented
as the computationally equivalent (but computationally faster and more
convenient) single-equation IV estimator.

Weighting means weighting observations in this calculation.  So the
answer is no, there is no way for -xtivreg2- (or the other commands
above) to weight one part of the calculation differently from any other
part.

As for whether it makes sense to weight the equivalent of the first
stage differently from the equivalent of the second stage, I guess it's
up to you to work out the econometrics of this.  There are estimators
which treat the first stage differently from the second stage - see, for
example, Brian Poi's paper on Jackknife IV estimation in the SJ, Vol. 6,
No. 3, 2006: http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=st0108.
I'm not aware, though, of any papers on IV estimators that discuss
whether or why different weighting of the first and second stage would
make sense.

HTH,
Mark

registered under charity number SC000278.

Heriot-Watt University is the Sunday Times
Scottish University of the Year 2011-2012