Re: st: Box-Cox Tobit

From   Muhammad Anees <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Box-Cox Tobit
Date   Mon, 27 Feb 2012 11:29:08 +0500

Hello,

What I guess from the -btobit- and issues related to the specification
of -tobit-, the abstract from

http://ideas.repec.org/c/boc/bocode/s457163.html

is here for your reference:

bctobit computes the LM-statistic for testing the tobit specification,
against the alternative of a model that is non-linear in the
regressors and contains an error term that can be heteroskedastic and
non-normally distributed. The test is carried out by taking a Box-Cox
transformation of the dependent variable [y^(lambda)-1]/lambda and
testing whether the parameter lambda=1. A rejection of the null
suggests that the Tobit specification is unsuitable, as an alternative
value for lambda would be required to return the linearity,
homoskedasticity and normality assumptions that are necessary for
consistent estimation. Critical values are obtained via the parametric
bootstrap, where the regressors are assumed to be stochastic.

What this implies, and what I understand is that if the Lambda is not
equal to 1 then as an alternative value for lambda would be required
to return the linearity, homoskedasticity and normality assumptions.

Hope this is of help

Best,
Anees

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Mekhola Chatterjee
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello Anees,
>
> Thank you so much for your reply. I have already come across the
> -bctobit- command and the Box-Cox Double Hurdle model. But I am
> specifically interested in knowing about the Box-Cox Tobit model. I am
> just not sure whether after doing the Box-Cox transformation of the
> dependent variable, I can straight away use the tobit estimation
> command (-tobit-) and do my analysis? Will that help accounting for
> the non-normality problem? Or, after the Box-Cox transformation the
> likelihood itself will change and I have to write my own program?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thank you so much.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mekhola
>
> On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 10:56 PM, Muhammad Anees <[email protected]> wrote:
>> And the Stata ado named -btobit- works better in your case.
>>
>> If not already installed, you can install it from -ssc install btobit-
>> and then read the help file for discussion from -help btobit-.
>>
>> Hope this helps this time
>>
>> Best,
>> Anees
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Muhammad Anees <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Only a starting comment, the search results from the Statalist
>>> archives gives a related discussion. It is from
>>>
>>> http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-08/msg00861.html
>>>
>>> Hope this suits your need too.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Anees

>>> --
>>>
>>> Best
>>> ---------------------------
>>> Muhammad Anees
>>> Assistant Professor/Programme Coordinator
>>> COMSATS Institute of Information Technology
>>> Attock 43600, Pakistan
>>> http://www.aneconomist.com
>>

>> --
>>
>> Best
>> ---------------------------
>> Muhammad Anees
>> Assistant Professor/Programme Coordinator
>> COMSATS Institute of Information Technology
>> Attock 43600, Pakistan
>> http://www.aneconomist.com
>>
>> *
>> *   For searches and help try: