Re: st: Re: Probability threshold for inclusion in ZINB count model

Subject   Re: st: Re: Probability threshold for inclusion in ZINB count model
Date   Sat, 25 Feb 2012 16:39:47 -0600

Jeremy,

That's not how this model works; you have a rather mechanistic
understanding of it.

ZINB is a joint model that has a two-part likelihood, one for
identical zeroes, and one for negative binomials, that are weighted
according to the probability from the inflation equation. This is very
clearly shown in -zinb- documentation. What you are thinking about is
a sort of two-step model: first, separate the zeroes; second, estimate
the negative binomial for the non-zeroes. But the first step cannot be
performed perfectly, as the negative binomial can produce random
zeroes, so the second step will not make much sense, either.