re: Re: st: stata 12 installation on mac osx

From   Christopher Baum <>
Subject   re: Re: st: stata 12 installation on mac osx
Date   Thu, 23 Feb 2012 15:44:20 -0500

I'm a phd student and going to some courses were they use Stata 11 and
others that use State 12 with collegues that use both makes my life a lot
more hastle free having both. Thus: Both it is.

I believe the reason for the recommendation is that if you customarily double-click on a do-file or dta-file, you don't know which executable will launch. But if you're not working that way, there is no problem (on Mac OS X or any other OS) with having more than one Stata executable on a system. This is also true of the console version that runs on OS X; if your license permits, you could have Stata/IC, Stata/SE and Stata/MP executables installed (under different names, of course, e.g. stata-mp). We have a high performance server set up that way, and one of my students complained about running into limits imposed by Stata/IC. All she needed to do was to invoke the Stata/MP executable to get around that.

                             An Introduction to Stata Programming  |