Re: st: truncreg with linear restriction

Subject   Re: st: truncreg with linear restriction
Date   Thu, 23 Feb 2012 13:21:17 -0500

Stefan Öberg <[email protected]>:
I suspect you would be better off not constraining the variance; see also
http://www.eco.rug.nl/~jacobs/jjdownload/truncateddistribution.pdf
but here are various options:

webuse nhanes2, clear
reg height age i.sex i.race if age>30
reg height age i.sex i.race if age>30 & height>160
truncreg height age i.sex i.race if age>30 , ll(160)
constraint 1 [sigma]_cons = 9.656
truncreg height age i.sex i.race if age>30 , ll(160) constraint(1)
qui truncreg height age i.sex i.race if age>30 , ll(1)
constraint 1 [sigma]_cons = `=e(sigma)'
truncreg height age i.sex i.race if age>30 , ll(160) constraint(1)

Note you really want to constrain to the residual variance, not the
population marginal variance; do you know what the constraint should
be?