st: Re: run Stata on macbook air

From   Christopher Baum <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: Re: run Stata on macbook air
Date   Wed, 22 Feb 2012 06:34:16 -0500

On Feb 22, 2012, at 2:33 AM, Caleb wrote:

> Would anyone be willing to comment on the use of Stata12 on a MacBook
> Air? Aside from issues strictly linked to size, such as 11-13" of
> screen real estate, how well does Stata run on this sort of computer?
> My indented use involves small datasets around 100 variables by 120
> time points and 200-600 observations per year (panel data). I often
> use Stata for EDA-type graphics. Mobility and speed are more important
> than screen graphics. Thanks.

I run Stata 12 on an older MBAir (the one with Core2Duo chip rather than the current i5 or i7) and it runs very well. You want the 4 Gb RAM option for sure. The solid-state drive has a higher access speed than a spinning hard disk, which is very useful in loading sizable datasets.

                             An Introduction to Stata Programming  |