st: RE: ivreg2 weak-id statistic and quadratic terms

From   "Schaffer, Mark E" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: ivreg2 weak-id statistic and quadratic terms
Date   Mon, 20 Feb 2012 22:35:34 -0000

Hi Miroslav, hi all.

I've checked this with the toy auto dataset.  I can replicate this

Miroslav - either before or after rescaling your covariates, do the
estimated coefficients vary hugely in scale?

In my toy auto dataset example, I am pretty sure that it is driven by
scaling problems.  For example, after

sysuse auto, clear
gen double weight2=weight^2
ivreg2 price (mpg=turn) weight weight2

gives a large weak ID stat of 11.5.  But there are big scaling problems
in the first-stage and main estimations, with coeffs that are something
like a factor of 10^8 different in magnitude.

If I estimate and just partial out the constant,

ivreg2 price (mpg=turn) weight weight2, partial(_cons)

the ill-conditioning is less pronounced and I get a weak ID stat of

If I partial out all the exogenous covariates,

ivreg2 price (mpg=turn) weight weight2, partial(weight weight2)

the ill-conditioning is gone and I again get a weak ID stat of 0.73.

I will investigate further and will report back to the list if I find
anything more.  It may be that -ivreg2- could handle these cases more

--Mark (ivreg2 coauthor)

registered under charity number SC000278.

Heriot-Watt University is the Sunday Times
Scottish University of the Year 2011-2012