st: RE: Cant reply to my own posts

From   DE SOUZA Eric <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Cant reply to my own posts
Date   Sat, 18 Feb 2012 18:10:53 +0100

I had the same problem last week when replying to the thread "arima vs regress" and gave up after three bounces.

The message was: most likely reason for the bounce is:
Admin request of type /^\s*which\s+\S+\s*$/i at line 5

Eric de Souza
College of Europe
Brugge (Bruges), Belgium
http://www.coleurope.eu

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of vikramfinavker
Sent: 18 February 2012 14:08
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Cant reply to my own posts

Dear Statalisters,

I am subscribed to statalist and i can post my questions as well. However, once i receive the reply from any member and then if i reply to that message it dosent work. It gives send me following mail.

Could someone please tell me how do i resolve this problem.

Dear Vikram Finavker <[email protected]>,

You sent email to Statalist <[email protected]> and Majordomo, the Statalist software, bounced it. The email you sent is attached below, but the most likely reason for the bounce is:

taboo body match "/Content-Type: text\/html;/" at line 151

Majordomo might also have bounced it for any of the following reasons:

1. You are not subscribed to Statalist, or not subscribed under the email address from which you sent the email.
Please read section 2.2 of the Statalist FAQ for advice on this issue:

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/statalist.html#toask

2. You sent the email in HTML format. Please read section 2.2 of the Statalist FAQ for advice on this:

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/statalist.html#toask

3. You sent a subscription request to the wrong address. To subscribe, send an email to [email protected] with "subscribe statalist" in the body of the message, not in the subject line. The subject line does not matter. Please use plain text when communicating with the majordomo software.
4. You sent an unsubscription request to the wrong address. To unsubscribe, send an email to [email protected] with "unsubscribe statalist" in the body of the message, not in the subject line. The subject line does not matter.

5. Your email contained a word in its first few lines which majordomo thought was an administrative request intended for majordomo, such as "help", "subscribe", or "unsubscribe". Avoid these words in the first few lines of your email.

There are other possibilities. See the Statalist FAQ, and especially section 2.2, at http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/statalist.html

Regards,

Statalist

P.S. Why is this email coming from stata.com? I thought Statalist was independently operated!

Answer: It is. Marcello Pagano, Statalist's moderator, posted the following on Statalist on March 11, 2010:

As Statalist has grown, so have the number of problem emails sent to Statalist that don't appear on the list for one reason or another. People try to post on Statalist who are not subscribers. Subscribers sometimes send valid email, but in HTML format. Subscription and unsubscription requests are sometimes sent to the list rather than to majordomo.
In general there are 50 to 100 problem emails per day! Up until now, we've been handling them by hand.

This cannot continue. There is an alternative. I've talked to StataCorp and we can forward all the bounced messages to them and they can set up an automatic response system to send the email back to the sender along with some indication of the problem.

I want to take advantage of their offer to help, but I do not want anyone to think that StataCorp's involvement is anything more than helping with this technical issue. All emails that get posted the list will still be posted to the list without ever going to StataCorp and not subject to any censoring.
All StataCorp will receive are the emails Statalist would have bounced anyway, and all they will be doing is using their software to analyze those emails and send back an automated response to the sender.

I assume everyone is okay with that. If someone is not, I'm willing to forward the bounces to them and let them handle them :-)