st: Comparing similar strings

From   "Daniel S." <yotrotamundo@hotmail.com>
To   Statalist <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: Comparing similar strings
Date   Thu, 16 Feb 2012 18:41:42 +0000

Dear all,

I have two columns with names, coming from different data sets. Is there any command to know how similar/different two
strings are? For example, John Seballos compared to John Zeballos should indicate that only one character is different, vs. Kate Smith compared to Robert Gonzalez should indicate that are completely different names. Any other command that do something like this?

I need this to check whether the same person lives in the same address after several years, and some of them may have changed they way their names are written.

Thanks!

Daniel Schwartz(apologies for cross-posting)