RE: st: hierarchical logistic regression command

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: hierarchical logistic regression command
Date   Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:40:14 +0000

-hireg- (SSC) is indeed configured only to work with -regress-. That could be a little clearer in its help, but it is at least implicit. It does not work with categorical outcomes because it was never designed to do that. It's a dog that was never designed to be a cat too.

I'd add to the pot -nestreg- which seems to me a much more obvious candidate for what you want to do than -stepwise-. If tempted to use -stepwise- Google "Harrell stepwise" and read around a bit first.

I'd echo Maarten to the extent of adding a gnomic comment that being able to do this doesn't make it easy to see how well you did it.

Maria Niarchou

thank you for your e-mail. I am sorry I didn't mention this, the hireg program was written by Paul H. Bern (Syracuse University [email protected]) so I think we are talking about the same one.

I am currently using this command:
stepwise, pe(.2) hierarchical: logistic

which seems to work. Do you think it is a correct way of doing hierarchical logistic regression?
I only have 2 independend variables that I add to the model.

From: [email protected]