Re: st: Meta-analysis pooling relative risk from relative risks possible?

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Meta-analysis pooling relative risk from relative risks possible?
Date   Thu, 16 Feb 2012 07:31:16 -0500

Do the relative risks reported by the individual studies come from
their respective 2x2 tables, or are they adjusted?  If they
incorporate adjustments, and the variables used in the adjustments
differ among studies, the relative risks are not comparable.

Although it is customary to weight the studies' estimates proportional
to the reciprocal of the estimated variance, bias can result, even in
fixed-effect meta-analysis.  The books and software generally give no
warning that using the estimated variances as if they were the known
true variances can cause such problems.  If you had the counts in the
cells of the 2x2s, you could try a Bayesian approach.

David Hoaglin