Re: st: RE: creating loops using combinations of variables

From   Zeynep Ozkok <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: creating loops using combinations of variables
Date   Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:10:58 +0100

Hi,

Thank you very much for your comment Nick.

Let me try to clarify the issue a bit by taking three variables as you
suggested. The three variables are: var1, var2, and var3.

What I would like to do is the following:

Step 1: Generate two variables called lex1, and lex2 such that, lex1 =
var1 and lex2= var2+var3
Generate two indices index1 and index2, such that: index1 = ln(1+
lex1) and index2 = ln(1+lex2)

Run a regression of the following form: Y_i,s,t= alpha_i +alpha_s
+alpha_t +beta*(index1)_i,t +lamda* (index2)_i,t + error_i,s,t

Save the coefficients for index1 and index2, and the Rsquare.

Clear lex1, lex2, index1, index2.

Step 2: Generate two variables called lex1, and lex2 such that, lex1 =
var2 and lex2= var1+var3
Generate two indices index1 and index2, such that: index1 = ln(1+
lex1) and index2 = ln(1+lex2)

Run a regression of the following form: Y_i,s,t= alpha_i +alpha_s
+alpha_t +beta*(index1)_i,t +lamda* (index2)_i,t + error_i,s,t

Save the coefficients for index1 and index2, and the Rsquare.

Clear lex1, lex2, index1, index2.

Step 3: Generate two variables called lex1, and lex2 such that, lex1 =
var3 and lex2= var1+var2
Generate two indices index1 and index2, such that: index1 = ln(1+
lex1) and index2 = ln(1+lex2)

Run a regression of the following form: Y_i,s,t= alpha_i +alpha_s
+alpha_t +beta*(index1)_i,t +lamda* (index2)_i,t + error_i,s,t

Save the coefficients for index1 and index2, and the Rsquare.

Clear lex1, lex2, index1, index2.

Unfortunately the order of the variables included in the index
measures are important. I should be able to tell which significant
indices include which variables. To me that seems almost impossible
when considering 27 variables. Is there a way to construct a loop to
run this entire process?

Thank you so much for all your help.

Zeynep