st: explaining where user-written programs come from [was: RE: RE: RE: xtfevd]

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   st: explaining where user-written programs come from [was: RE: RE: RE: xtfevd]
Date   Thu, 16 Feb 2012 11:49:42 +0000

That's candid of you, but let me spell this out once more.

1. When people join the list, they are explicitly requested to read the FAQ before posting.

2. The Statalist FAQ requests at http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/statalist.html#stata

"Say what command(s) you are using. If they are not part of official Stata, say where they come from: the STB/SJ, SSC, or other archives."

On 1, I have to suppose that many people just don't do this, or they do skim the FAQ on joining but don't go back to it before posting for the first time. But you are all asked to do this.

We are not going to introduce moderation of the list, whereby substandard questions are bounced back for revision. So, we have to do this by peer pressure.

As various people on the list have (often) emphasised, this is not a matter of insisting on some arbitrary etiquette which will then used to be embarrass you if you fall short. It is in your own interests to ask questions that are clear and explain relevant details. I am fairly experienced in and knowledgeable about Stata but I had to do some searching to remind myself what -xtfevd- was. That was self-imposed; I could just have deleted your email, as I often do with questions that I don't understand; but I would rather you had explained it.

Murat Genc

Thank you very much Nick.  I wasn't aware of the protocol about explaining where I got the program from.

[...]