Re: st: How many observations can Stata 11 handle?

Subject   Re: st: How many observations can Stata 11 handle?
Date   Wed, 15 Feb 2012 08:50:46 -0500

At 08:42 AM 2/15/2012, Tunga Kantarcı wrote:
Hello,

Here is a short question. What is the maximum number of observations
that Stata 11 can handle? I have an administrative data set which
includes observations for about 3 million unique individuals, for 20
variables. SPSS did open this data set but Stata 11 could not open it.
I plan to draw a sample from the data set using SPSS and transfer the
data to Stata 11 with the Stat-transfer data conversion program. So I
would like to know the maximum number of observations that Stata 11
can handle. Accordingly I will draw a sample using SPSS with the
maximum number of observations that Stata can handle.

help limits

In theory you can have 2 billion cases but in practice the amount of memory you have will limit you.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  [email protected]
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam