Re: st: ANOVAs and Probability Weights

Subject   Re: st: ANOVAs and Probability Weights
Date   Tue, 14 Feb 2012 17:27:10 -0500

To sum up what you've said so far: all schools in sets 1 and 2 nationally were invited to participate. There was no sampling of schools (since all were invited), but teachers were sampled from the combined rosters of the participating schools.  Set 3 is the result of a multistage sample.

To partly answer  your questions: regression coefficients are indeed legit as descriptions of finite populations: they are estimates of the coefficients that would be obtained if you did regression on every teacher in the population. If you wish to use the estimates to test hypotheses or form conclusions about causal impact, you must they become estimates for a super-population or counterfactual population.

You are interested in results for a subset of schools. In the survey literature, such subsets  are called "domains" (as in Lohr's book-below) and "subpopulations" (as in Stata). Stata adds the -subpop()- option to survey commands to handle subpopulations. This requires that the data set contain information about schools _not_ in the subpopulation. See: http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-11/msg00810.html. The requirement to use the -subpop- option will apply only to your set 3 analysis, as it is the only set in which schools were sampled.

If the weights in any of the three sets were post-stratified to reflect national totals (e.g. teacher gender and age distributions), then those weights might be wrong for the subpopulation. In that case, you would need to re-weight.

This is a difficult analysis, and before you go further, I suggest that you become familiar with fundamental survey concepts.  I recommend that you read  Sharon Lohr's Sampling: Design & Analysis (2009). Section 11.4, for example, might help to answer your very good question about "which population". The Stata Survey Manual has good Stata examples. So does the book by Heeringa, S., West, B. T., & Berglund, P. A. (2010): Applied survey data analysis.

Steve
[email protected]