st: SV: RDD robustness check: Controlling for covariates?

From   Miriam Wüst <[email protected]>
Subject   st: SV: RDD robustness check: Controlling for covariates?
Date   Tue, 14 Feb 2012 07:44:52 +0000

It would not be great if the effect of your covariate varies on the two sides as you assume that there is no discontinuity in other variables at the theshold...

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] På vegne af Jen Zhen
Sendt: 13. februar 2012 17:24
Til: [email protected]
Emne: st: RDD robustness check: Controlling for covariates?

Dear list members,

just as a robustness check (not for the main estimates) for a regression discontinuity design, I'd like to test whether results change when I control for a covariate.

However, I'm unsure whether I should just control for the covariate in the same way on both sides of the threshold, or whether I need to allow the effect of the covariate to vary between the two sides, i.e.
should I use

- reg outcome T forcingvar T_forcingvar covar - or
- - reg outcome T forcingvar T_forcingvar covar T_covar-  ?

Thanks so much and best regards,
JZ