Re: st: ANOVAs and Probability Weights

From   Steve Samuels <>
Subject   Re: st: ANOVAs and Probability Weights
Date   Mon, 13 Feb 2012 17:45:06 -0500

ANOVA is equivalent to multiple regression on group indicators.

So -svyset- the data with the design information (clusters, strata, weights), and use -svy: reg-.

Note that hypothesis tests are not appropriate if you are interested in describing the particular finite population where the survey was done. For references, see:
Instead, you can assess differences in means with confidence intervals. In the descriptive setting, get  minimal standard errors by specifying the finite population correction, if non-negligible, in the -svyset- statement.
sysuse auto, clear
recode rep78 1/2=3
rename turn psu
svyset psu [pw = weight], strata(foreign)
svy: mean mpg, over(rep78)
// no covariates:
xi: svy: reg mpg i.rep78  // F test
testparm _Irep78*         //same