st: calculate alpha after polychoric factor analysis

From   <>
To   <>
Subject   st: calculate alpha after polychoric factor analysis
Date   Mon, 13 Feb 2012 13:54:14 +0000

Dear Stata Listers,
I would like to estimate the equivalent of  Cronbach's alpha after factor analysis conducted on a polychoric matrix of ordinal, Likert items. I started out in a pretty standard way thus:
polychoric var1 - var29
display r(sum_w) // check number of respondents answered all = 331
matrix r = r(R)
factormat r, n(331) factors(3) ipf
Is there such functionality available, or might I have to re-do the whole analysis in R or SAS?
Dr Seyi Soremekun
Faculty of Epidemiology and Public Health
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
London WC1E 7HT