RE: st: using post stratification weights

From   Afif Naeem <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: using post stratification weights
Date   Sun, 12 Feb 2012 11:41:26 -0500

Thanks Steven for you reply. Actually, correctly specifying the strata (or any other first stage sampling effect) is what I am mostly confused about. Let me explain you the survey design first.

The survey was conducted by an internet-based survey research firm that has developed a fully representative pool of individuals. For our specific study, a representative sample of 857 Ohio state adults (18 and over) was selected. These individuals were invited to take part in the online survey. Out of 859 individuals, only 537 completely respond and complete the survey. This means only 62.5% of respondents do actually complete the survey.

The survey research firm also provides in the data set individual specific weights, generated through a post-stratification process (i.e. Raking) to adjust for any survey non-response and also any non-coverage due to the study-specific sample design. Demographic and geographic distributions for the Ohio population aged 18+ from the most recent Current Population Survey (CPS) are used as benchmarks in this adjustment.

The following benchmark distributions are utilized for this post-stratification adjustment:

  Gender (Male, Female)
  Age (18-29, 30-44, 45-59, 60+)
  Race/Hispanic ethnicity
  Education (Less than High School, High School, Some college, Bachelor and beyond)
  Metropolitan Area (Yes, No)
  Internet Access (Yes, No)

Comparable distributions are calculated using all completed cases from the field data. Since study sample sizes are typically too small to accommodate a complete cross-tabulation of all the survey variables with the benchmark variables, an iterative proportional fitting is used for the post-stratification weighting adjustment. This procedure adjusts the sample data back to the selected benchmark proportions. Through an iterative convergence process, the weighted sample data are optimally fitted to the marginal distributions.
After this final post-stratification adjustment, the distribution of the calculated weights are examined to identify and trim  outliers at the extreme upper and lower tails of the weight distribution. The post-stratified and trimmed weights are then scaled to the sum of the total sample size of qualified respondents.

Given this survey design, and method of deriving weights, I am not sure how to define strata or any thing else. I guess the main source of sample-selection bias in the data set arise from the fact that only 62.5% of respondents do actually complete the survey. The un-weighted summary statistics show some deviation from that of the state of Ohio. I want to properly weight the sample to make it more comparable to the general population of state oh Ohio.

My main aim is to use these weights in my Binary Logit model, so that the inferences I draw are applicable to the general population of Ohio. I really hope someone can provide me some guidance here.

Best,
Afif