st: RE: heteroskedasticity-robust standard errors using "xtivreg2, fe"

From   "Schaffer, Mark E" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: heteroskedasticity-robust standard errors using "xtivreg2, fe"
Date   Sat, 11 Feb 2012 18:51:17 -0000

-xtivreg2- with the "robust" option implements standard Eicker-Huber-White-sandwich-etc. heteroskedastic-robust SEs.

Stock & Watson (2008) showed that these are inconsistent, but only in a large-N fixed-T context.  The size of the bias is decreasing in T, so if you have decent number of observations in the time series dimension, it might not be much of a problem.

-xtivreg2- has an undocumented option "sw" that implements the Stock-Watson bias-corrected heteroskedastic-robust SEs.  It's undocumented because at the time I programmed it, I wanted to replicate a published example but couldn't find one.  Feel free to use this option, but caveat emptor.

And if someone out there knows of a published example of these Stock-Watson SEs employed on an openly-available dataset so that I could replicate, please let me know!

registered under charity number SC000278.

Heriot-Watt University is the Sunday Times
Scottish University of the Year 2011-2012