RE: st: identifying duplicate records

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: identifying duplicate records
Date   Fri, 10 Feb 2012 16:49:50 +0000

Let's be clear on this:

-duplicates- will fail to find "duplicates" that are not in fact duplicates. It nowhere and in no way is designed to find _approximate_ duplicates.

Dimitriy V. Masterov

I assume you've already tried the duplicates command on various
combination of the id variables and that did not work.

I would create a combination id that concatenates the dob, NHS # and
surname. Then use the user-written strgroup on this variable. This
approach will still require a bit of manual work.

A non-Stata approach is to use Google Refine.