st: Use of data originating from SPSS - update

From   Margaret MacDougall <>
Subject   st: Use of data originating from SPSS - update
Date   Mon, 06 Feb 2012 22:23:10 +0000

I grabbed a spare moment to dip into a Stata manual on my journey home from work today and noted that for a logistic regression analysis, Stata requires one of the categories of my dependent variable to assume the value '0'. This pointed to a very simple solution (which worked) while highlighting a necessary change which needs to be made in the transition from SPSS to Stata which I was previously unaware of. Creating a new coding in SPSS for the categories of the dependent variable while saving the modified SPSS file in Stata format did the trick.

Best wishes

On 03/02/2012 23:03, Margaret MacDougall wrote:
Thanks, Nick, but as far as codebook is concerned, my data are quite healthy and there is not a missing data issue. Due to other commitments, I have very limited time to spend on this problem. However, I have resolved to try a diffierent trick most days untill I strike gold and to post my main finding to the Stata list users regarding how the issue was resolved.

Best wishes

On 02/02/2012 22:15, Nick Cox wrote:
As said, if it's not a problem with variables being (mis)read as string, then it sounds like a problem with missings. Have a look at your data e.g. using -codebook- and opening the Data Editor and see whether and where there are missings and whether they match what is seen by SPSS.

-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of Margaret MacDougall
Sent: 02 February 2012 22:07
Cc: MacLennan, Graeme
Subject: Re: st: RE: Use of data originating from SPSS

By way of an update, I have also applied the latest patch so as to
upgrade to SPSS and then re-saved in Stata format using the
SPSS dialogue box. However, this has not eliminated my original error
message pointing to there be "no observations" for my "statistical

*   For searches and help try:

Dr Margaret MacDougall
Medical Statistician and Researcher in Education
Centre for Population Health Sciences
University of Edinburgh Medical School
Teviot Place
Edinburgh EH8 9AG

Tel:  +44 (0)131 650 3211
Fax:  +44 (0)131 650 6909

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.