RE: st: geocode command and google query limit

From   Lance Erickson <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: geocode command and google query limit
Date   Mon, 6 Feb 2012 18:01:50 +0000

I've noticed the same decline in successful requests using -geocode-. In fact, if I make a mistake on the first (and second) go with the command then subsequent attempts can be unsuccessful for EVERY address. I've used a looping strategy, perhaps similar to what you allude to, and in cases like this I end up getting a loop that never ends because I never get any successful geocodes. I have only tried using the command on a dataset with about 3,500 addresses in it and I don't know how big yours is, but assuming that you don't exhaust Google on the first run because of an enormous dataset, just wait a day or so and try again. The help file indicates that the limit resets each day. In my experience, I've been able to  successfully get codes for all addresses after waiting a day and I never have to manually enter addresses into Google.com.

Here's an example of the code I use:

// get geocodes
gen geocode=.
gen geoscore=.
gen latitude=.
gen longitude=.

local i = 1
while geocode!=200 {
	drop geocode geoscore latitude longitude
	geocode, address(address) city(city) zip(zipcode)
	preserve
		keep if geocode==200
		save "R:\geocode`i'", replace
	restore