Re: st: interaction effects vs. interaction coefficients using contrast?

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: interaction effects vs. interaction coefficients using contrast?
Date   Mon, 6 Feb 2012 18:09:19 +0100

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Colleen Nugent wrote:
> Following the example you gave in the Stata tip, if I wanted to know whether black women with a college degree had significantly different odds than white women with a college degree, the best way to do it is to use margins and then lincom to make this comparison?

In that case I would just re-estimate the model with a variable
noncoll (a indicator variable for non-college degree) instead of
collgrad. Than the reported number by -logit- with the -or- option of
-black- will be the ratio of the odds when both black and white women
have a college degree. If this ratio is 1 than the odds are equal, and
this is already the null hypothesis of the test reported in the
regression output, so than you are done.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen