st: Anonymous nonnies

From   Marcello Pagano <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Anonymous nonnies
Date   Mon, 06 Feb 2012 11:39:40 -0500

Dear Listers,

As list owner, I don't often lay down the law on Statalist. Nick Cox, some others and I usually play bad cops and good cop. They are the bad cops niggling away if you are unclear, don't give precise code, omit references or even misspell Stata. There is, however, one key point on which I want, gently but firmly, to be adamant, and on which Nick and I agree. The Statalist tradition over its entire history has been that people give their real names and do not hide behind fake or cute names or identifiers. If you wish to post to Statalist, you should use your real name. This is, please, to be considered a requirement, not an option. Other lists and forums have their own styles, which are often different, and that is for them to decide. There should be no reason why you can't say who you are on Statalist -- or if there is, please keep quiet, or ask your question elsewhere. If you don't want to comply with this requirement, that is your view, but you are likely to find yourself removed from the list, or even ostracized and not have your questions answered. You choose, but this is becoming more of an issue of late, and I hope we don't go down the anonymous road because that removes a level of trust and friendliness from the character this list has acquired over the years.

I should also take this opportunity to remind you that once something has been posted on the list, it will probably remain available to "everyone" "forever", as I taught my kids. So please be aware of this when posting phone numbers etc. Once out there I do not have the wherewithal to remove postings.

Thanks for listening,

m.p.