RE: st: repeated measures ANOVA to MANOVA - revisit [on behalf of Rob Ploutz-Snyder]

From   "Airey, David C" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: repeated measures ANOVA to MANOVA - revisit [on behalf of Rob Ploutz-Snyder]
Date   Sat, 4 Feb 2012 11:14:40 -0600

.

Don't expect the p-values between repeated measures ANOVA and MANOVA to be
the same.

There is nothing wrong with Stata's repeated measures ANOVA implementation.

There are different ways of parameterizing such models with ANOVA, as Phil Ender has
said on this list at different times, and you can get each depending on what you use
for your errors.

What may be wrong with RMANOVA is the approach itself, not the implementation in Stata.

The assumptions about the variance covariance matrix are more strict with ANOVA,
(compound symmetry) which is why some prefer MANOVA which assumes much less.
But MANOVA can be less powerful, and in some cases you cannot perform MANOVA
when you can perform RMANOVA. Modern approaches to repeated measures data include
GEE and mixed models. ANOVA is strict about the correlation
structure, MANOVA is not, mixed models allow you model the covariance
structure, and GEE treats it like a nuisance.

When appropriate, response feature analysis can be very clear to interpret.
For example, if you can change repeated measures to areas under the curve you
can just analyze one response per subject. This may be useful when the same
measure is taken over time, but not when subjects receive all treatments.

-Dave