Re: st: SAS vs STATA : why is xtlogit SO slow ?

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: SAS vs STATA : why is xtlogit SO slow ?
Date   Sat, 4 Feb 2012 13:33:40 +0100

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the delay.. I had to try your very interesting suggestions
before anything else...

*********************************
1)
Richard, Clyde, thank you for your interesting comments but the option
from doesnt help... Stata cannot converge :
Iteration 0:   log likelihood =    -1.#INF
Iteration 1:   log likelihood =    -1.#IND
Hessian is not negative semidefinite

**********************
2)
Klaus, indeed I try to estimate a Fixed effect logit, not a random
effect. However are you sure that Stata uses the pooled coefficients
from the plain logit estimation?
Indeed if I send the Stata command : logit Y DUM CONT, the computation
takes a few seconds only to converge, but the results are quite
different from the logit fixed effect SAS estimation... One parameter
has the opposite sign for example which probaly means that including
dummies by individual is important.. ;-)

By the way I have checked that there is indeed enough variation in the
DUM categorical variable so I do not think the problems are coming
from the variables...

MORE IMPORTANTLY : when I compare SAS's results with STATA on a MUCH
(really much) smaller sample (less than 2000 observations, 146
individuals, 11 points on average per individual) then the results are
exactly the same between the two systems (same point values + standars
errors+ P-values)... thus suggesting that something bad is going on
when STATA try to fit the fixed effect logit model on a larger dataset
So I am puzzled ...

What do you think ?
Thanks again for your help