st: Exploratory factor analysis using a mix of categorical and continuous variables

From   Urmi Bhattacharya <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Exploratory factor analysis using a mix of categorical and continuous variables
Date   Fri, 3 Feb 2012 15:02:28 +0530

Hi All,

I am using exploratory factor analysis to generate factor loadings and
the corresponding uniqueness values using 16 variables. I have a mix
of dummy variables (taking values 1 or 0), categorical variables
(positive integers), and continuous variables. I am using the
following command:

factor govt_school chais_desk_s schl_toilet_s schl_water_s
hrs_electric_s  num_classoutdoor_s num_mixedgrade_s reg_fee_gen_s
tuit_fee_ gen_s pupil_teach_s inservice_training_s library_s
computer_use_s playgrnd_s  formal_teach_eval_s distance_primaryschool,
ipf factor(1).

My question is whether this is the correct procedure to use when I
have variables that are not continuous? If not, is there a command in
Stata that better handles this?

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Best

Urmi Bhattacharya