Re: st: string date

From   Nick Cox <>
Subject   Re: st: string date
Date   Thu, 2 Feb 2012 09:50:48 +0000

An alternative to quarter(dofq(yourvar)) is 1959 + ceil(yourvar/4).
This follows directly from the rule that quarters run 1 ... 4 in each
calendar year and Stata's rule that the first date of any kind in 1960
is numbered 1. So in 1960 quarterly dates run 1..4 which round up to 1
when divided by 4 and in 2012 quarterly dates run 208 ... 212 which
round up to 53 when divided by 4.