Re: st: left-side censoring of the independent variable

Subject   Re: st: left-side censoring of the independent variable
Date   Tue, 31 Jan 2012 12:10:22 -0500

I should have added:

If you know that risk started before your "pre-defined period" but you  observe events only after that period, and if, in addition, you know the date that risk started for all people you observe, then you can use the parametric regression models in-streg-.   Just specify the origin() and enter() options in -stset-.

Steve

You can't solve it in "STATA" (see the last entry of the list FAQ for the reason why), but you can probably solve it in Stata . The phenomenon you describe is not left censoring, at least in the survival terminology that Stata uses, but left-truncation, and the pre-defined period is the truncation point.

See the Statalist thread beginning at: http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2011-04/msg01276.html
especially the Wooldridge reference given in http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2011-04/msg01324.html

For a solution in Stata, download -stregshared- from http://vandenberg.vwl.uni-mannheim.de/2999.0.html .   I haven't tried it so can't give any advice about it.

Steve