Re: st: subpop() and over() with survey mean estimation using SDR weights

From   [email protected] (Jeff Pitblado, StataCorp LP)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: subpop() and over() with survey mean estimation using SDR weights
Date   Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:52:55 -0600

Sam Schulhofer-Wohl <[email protected]> had a follow-up question:

> Is -svy bootstrap- with -bsn(4)- equivalent to SDR weights in all cases?
> For example, if I am using the IPUMS version of the Current Population
> Survey with
>
> svyset [iw=wtsupp], sdrweight(repwtp1-repwtp160) vce(sdr)
>
> can I instead do
>
> svyset [iw=wtsupp], bsrweight(repwtp1-repwtp160) bsn(4) vce(bootstrap)
>
> (Comparing the formulas on pages 186 and 190 of [SVY] suggests that the two
> settings are indeed always equivalent, but official confirmation would be
> nice.)

While the replicate weights are different between the two methods, the formula
used to compute the VCE from the replicated parameter estimates is equivalent
between the SDR method and the bootstrap with a multiplier of 4.

--Jeff