Re: st: clogit for discrete choice experiment with multiple choice sets

From   Klaus Pforr <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: clogit for discrete choice experiment with multiple choice sets
Date   Mon, 30 Jan 2012 10:36:03 +0100

<>
Dear Hadji,

this seems to be an application for multilevel or panel multinomial logit. There is a fixed effects model by Chamberlain (1980). The fixed effects are in your case on the person level. Possible random effects solutions are discussed in Train (2009). The first model has not been implemented yet (cf. Allison 2009, p.44), but I'm am currently working on an ado for this model (http://www.stata.com/meeting/germany11/desug11_pforr.pdf). The latter models are complicated and can be estimated with GLM.

There is a also back door solution for the fixed effects estimator for small samples and short panel/small clusters (in your case the the number of experiments). Börsch-Supan applied the Chamberlain model on housing choices and rearranged the data in a way so that he could use the implemented clogit to estimate the model. The data organisation is the following: In a simplified version of your case you would have only 3 experiments (or panel time points in the chamberlain lingo) and 3 alternatives. Lets say you have the indiv 1 with this selection (this is example is purposely simple)
xp choice
1 1
2 2
3 3

When you look up the equation in the chamberlain model, you find the conditional likelihood of the prob to choose the time series that was chosen conditional ("i.e. divided by") the prob of all permutations of the chosen alternatives.

You look at all combination of choices, which have the same number of 1's, 2's and 3's (or in general all of your outcomes) for the specific individual. This set of permutation makes your set of alternatives:

Permutaion Was it chosen?
123 yes
132 no
213 no
231 no
312 no
321 no

After this reorganisation you run a clogit on the data with respondent as group, and have the multinomial logit with fixed effects. This is very cumbersome even your simple application, but it works. You also have to think about how to generate you independet variable for this to get the coefficents that you want.

Here is the literature:

Börsch-Supan, Axel. 1987. Econometric analysis of discrete choice: With applications on the demand for housing in the U.S. and West-Germany. Berlin et al.: Springer Verlag.

Börsch-Supan, Axel. 1990. Panel data analysis of housing choices. Regional science and urban economics 20: 65–82.

Börsch-Supan, Axel, und Henry O. Pollakowski. 1990. Estimating housing consumption adjustments from panel data. Journal of urban economics 27: 131–150.

Chamberlain, Gary. 1980. Analysis of Covariance with Qualitative Data. Review of Economic Studies 57: 225–238.

Train, Kenneth E. 2009. Discrete choice methods with simulation. 2. ed. Cambridge, MA et al.: Cambridge University Press.

I hope this helps

best

Klaus