Re: st: Kernel Density Estimate Percentiles

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Kernel Density Estimate Percentiles
Date   Sun, 29 Jan 2012 14:21:18 +0000

I don't know of such a command and I think it's because it is not an
obvious route to follow.

-kdensity- smooths the empirical density function. To go from a
smoothed density function back to quantiles, you would need to
integrate the result to a distribution function and get its inverse.
But the results will inevitably differ slightly depending on choice of
kernel type and width.

-hdquantile- (SSC) offers one recipe for smoothing quantiles directly,
but based on different ideas.

That said, it's an unusual distribution if the 20, 50, 80% percentiles
differ much between original and smoothed distribution. This could
arise if the original  distribution took on just a few distinct
values, but in that case it is moot whether -kdensity- is a good idea.

Nick