st: distortion in map created with spmap

From   Michel Serafinelli <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: distortion in map created with spmap
Date   Mon, 23 Jan 2012 19:53:24 -0800

Hello there,

I am creating a map at US county level using spmap in Stata 11. When I
open the .gph file in Stata, my county level map looks fine to me. But
then once i convert the .gph into .eps format, this file is not
workable because the shape is distorted, according to the person which
is editing the book for which I am preparing the map.

I am using the shapefile c_01ja11.shp downloaded from the NOAA website.
This is the same website from which the shapefile is obtained by
authors of the FAQ “How do I graph data onto a map with spmap”(
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/graphics/spmap.html)
The only difference is that the map in their example is at state
level, while my map is at county level.
I tried with a older shapefile (2000 Census file instead of the 2011
downloaded from the NOAA website) but the result is the same. It
cannot be printed by the editor.

Please let me know if you have any suggestion, thanks!

I had sent already a message on this, but my question was probably too
unclear. I hope to have provided more information in this message.

Best,

Michel