Antwort: Re: st: Using ivregress when the endogenous variable is used in an interaction term in the main regression

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Antwort: Re: st: Using ivregress when the endogenous variable is used in an interaction term in the main regression
Date   Mon, 23 Jan 2012 20:58:50 +0100

Hi all,

The described IV procedure for interaction terms differs from canned 2SLS in two ways:
1. The first stage of 2SLS where all instruments are regressed on the endogenouss variable preprocessed manually in the first step
2. For each interaction term, an additional instrument is constructed in the second step
3. By construction, the -ivreg2- procedure uses as exactly many instruments in the second step as there are endogenous regressors (including interaction terms)

Interestingly, the second-stage regression cannot be over-identified when using this specific method. Does this affect the possible inference that can be drawn from the Sargan test statistic in -ivreg2- ?

It's important to gather some ideas because I am dealing with a similar IV setting where there are two endogenous variables, X1 and X2, which interact with each other. If I apply the described IV procedure to my model, would the three steps now be as following:

1) -regress- each X1 and X2 on _all_ instruments (included exogenous controls and
excluded instruments) and get predictions X1hat and X2hat.

2) Form interactions of X2hat with X1hat, that is, X2hat*X1hat.

3) -ivregress- instrumenting for X1, X2 and X2*X1 using X1hat, X2hat and X2hat*X1hat.

Thank you for your help.

Andreas Zweifel