Re: Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: RE: st: Spurious inference from endogeneity tests

From   "Justina Fischer" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: RE: st: Spurious inference from endogeneity tests
Date   Sat, 21 Jan 2012 01:34:33 +0100

HI Andreas,

there are no 'right' instrumentsas such: there are only good ones (valid, strong) and bad ones. Imagine ´good´ and ´bad´ being on a continuous scale: most instruments are somwhere on this scale, but rarely at the extreme.

now to the Sargan:
"The Sargan test statistic [...] [is] under the null that the error term is uncorrelated with the instruments."
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrumental_variable

so you want a p-value > 0.10

no rejection is what you want: the null means you have good instruments.

I recommend to use ivreg2 whih allows you to test the redundany of instruments.

Best
Justina

-------- Original-Nachricht --------