RE: st: Interaction Variables as Instruments

From   Cameron McIntosh <[email protected]>
To   STATA LIST <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Interaction Variables as Instruments
Date   Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:11:10 -0500

Jessie,

Is this a wage differential analysis? At first glance, your instrumenting seems confusing and strikes me as overkill (and you have a 3-way interaction m*x*z_1?), but for now I'll let others chime in on that...

I think you may want to see this paper:

Overton, R.C. (2001). Moderated multiple regression for interactions involving categorical variables: a statistical control for heterogeneous variance across two groups. Psychological Methods, 6(3), 218-233.

and also look into Blinder-Oaxaca decompositions, as these will help you quantify intergroup gaps and the degree to which given predictors are responsible for those gaps:

Jann, B. (2008). The Blinder–Oaxaca decomposition for linear regression models. The Stata Journal, 8(4), 453-479.http://www.ssc.wisc.edu/~jmuniz/jann_oaxaca.pdf

Jann, B. (May 6, 2008). OAXACA: Stata module to compute the Blinder-Oaxaca decomposition.http://ideas.repec.org/c/boc/bocode/s456936.html

Elder, T.E., Goddeeris, J.H., & Haider, S.J. (2010). Unexplained gaps and Oaxaca–Blinder decompositions. Labour Economics, 17, 284–290.https://www.msu.edu/~telder/2010-LE.pdf

Emamian, M.H., Zeraati, H., Majdzadeh, R., Shariati, M., Hashemi, H., & Fotouhi, A. (2011). The Gap of Visual Impairment Between Economic Groups in Shahroud, Iran: A Blinder-Oaxaca Decomposition. American Journal of Epidemiology, 173, 1463-1467.
Ñopo, H. (2008). An extension of the Blinder–Oaxaca decomposition to a continuum of comparison groups. Economics Letters, 100(2), 292-296.
Heinrichs, J., & Kennedy, P. (2007). A computational trick for calculating the Blinder-Oaxaca decomposition and its standard error. Economics Bulletin, 3(66), 1-7.http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.accessecon.com/pubs/eb/2007/volume3/EB-07C00003A.pdf

Cam